Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Little Less Action, A Lot More Talk

I ended up doing very little actual "work" on the bathroom remodel this past weekend. Most of our attention was focused on picking out our materials, fixtures, tiles, etc that we're going to use. Oh boy, shopping :-\! Actually, I've enjoyed shopping for this stuff...mostly. Toilets are kinda boring.

Saturday, I needed to get rid of the waste from demo during the past two weekends. My truck was filled higher than the bed walls with bathroom stuff and the crappy rotted doors from when I built new shed doors in Summer 2010. I never took them to the dump, so they were just leaning against the back side of the shed for nearly two years. After going to FPU on Saturday, I loaded up the old shed doors into the truck, grabbed my shovel, and Cass and I went to the solid waste management site in Ypsi Twp. It took me what felt like 5 hours to unload the truck, but I'm guessing it was like 10 minutes. I had everything in there; the shower pan, tiles, drywall, toilet, etc. My truck was my construction dumpster for the past two weeks.

Once I got the bed emptied, I wished I'da brought a broom...whoops. Oh well. Cass and I then took off to patronize Home Depot, Lowes, and the Tile Shop. We've found just about everything we think we're going to get for the bathroom. Sorry for the secrecy, but we're going to keep our ideas and choices of the new stuff semi-secret until the "big reveal". That is unless you've figured out where we keep interesting ideas/things we find for the bathroom. ;-)

After shopping on Saturday, we got home in the evening and I decided not to work on the bathroom. I did do a little bit of work on Sunday. I tore out a spacer wall that was just there to make the shower space exactly 48 inches wide. The 2x4s at the bottom of that wall were pretty nasty from water damage. I also pulled up the raised portion of the subfloor where the shower is because it was reeeaally rotted and ugly. The builders built said box to raise the shower subfloor for the shower pan. I was hoping that maybe I could make the shower subfloor flush with the regular bathroom subfloor, but I figured the builders must've had a reason for doing that. Turns out I was right. Because the shower is the part of the bathroom that is suspended above the staircase, there wasn't enough room for a p-trap to fit completely underneath the subfloor so they had to cut a hole in the subfloor to accomodate the drain and build a 2 1/2" box to raise the shower subfloor.

That's all for now. I'm going to "turn it around" this weekend and begin building things to put in the bathroom like a new raised subfloor and a replacement spacer wall.

0 comments: