Monday, April 9, 2012

Slow Goin' These Days

Ok, many folks may be wondering why the renovation (if you've been following the blog) has suddenly grinded to a snail's pace. Well, there are a few reasons. Two weekends ago, I did absolutely nothing on the bathroom because I was told that Friday that I had homework that was due on Monday. By homework, I mean I was given the chance to do a presentation as a job interview and they wanted me to present on Monday. So I worked on the presentation all weekend and the bathroom got put on the back burner. More to come on that in the very near future!

Then of course this was Easter weekend which meant I had limited time to do anything. We had Memaw and Papaw over on Saturday and we were going to Cass's parent's house on Sunday after church. I'm not complaining, though! It was a great weekend.

I was able to get something done on the bathroom, but it was waaaaay less than I was hoping. Hence I didn't really take any photos. I wanted to do the pre-pan for the shower floor. I got as far as you see in the picture. I got the drain installed and put down tar paper and the wire mesh.

I bought the mortar mix that Home Depot said I should use for the pre-pan. When I got home, I got everything ready because the stuff I was told to use was called "Rapid Set Mortar Mix" which worried me. So, I get started mixing the stuff using the recommended amount of water. As I'm in the middle of mixing it I start to notice this stuff is already setting and I haven't even got it out of the bucket yet! It started hardening into concrete rocks before I even had the entire thing mixed! Unbelievable. I tried to put some down and see if I could break up the rocks that had already started to form, but there was no chance of that. So I had to abort and put the mix back in the bucket. So, I've now got a bucket of a whole bunch of hardened concrete rocks! Awesome.

I'll be re-grouping this week, and probably take another stab at doing the pre-pan next weekend. Stay tuned!

0 comments: