Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Renovation of the Family Room...



Well, we finally started our first major renovation. When we first moved into the house the closest thing to "demo" that we did involved removing the baseboards so we didn't paint over them and remove wallpaper. This time we're actually taking down some wood paneling and completely replacing the drywall on the largest wall in the family room.

We're not big fans of wood paneling. Especially paneling that's been painted over! To us, that's just a lame way of covering up the fact that you don't like your house's 70's decor. Heh heh! Cass and I actually started tearing down the wood paneling week before last just to see what it looked like behind the wood paneling. Thankfully, we didn't open a can of worms that we couldn't handle in doing so.

This past Friday we were able to get the rest of the wood paneling down and on Saturday we got the drywall on the big wall down.




After we got the paneling and the drywall down, we noticed that the home builders had framed out an area for a fireplace! (Hmmm...wonder if that might come in handy someday.)

The last thing we did was put in a new leg to the family room's power circuit for some new overhead lighting WITH a dimmer switch and something else...you'll find out what it is soon enough.

The wiring went well. I took a stab at putting it in on Saturday, but for some reason at the end of the day I was only getting voltage to the power for the "something else" not the overhead lighting. On Sunday I bought a new junction box and redid the wiring and this time it worked. Got power successfully to both legs. I know it worked because I have a volt meter and I tested it lol! I was so proud of myself. This was a first for me, and I actually did it!

More to come soon. Stay Tuned!

0 comments: